Ever fooled around in a WalMart parking lot before? Me too. And a parking garage at the mall, parking lot of my high school, and the floor of my almost finished new house. That's a good story. I'll share that one.
So, my parents being the great parents they are, told me my grandparents were uncomfortable with me having boys in my room. (There was a night Brandon came over and we made out and, you know, other stuff, on my bed while Donnie Darko played in the background. But, what we failed to notice was the movie never actually started; the first scene played over and over for about an hour. Just one song, on repeat, looking oh so not innocent.)
So, with my grandparents' concern and my parents' concern to not concern my grandparents, I was told to take my date to our new house. This house was located in the woods, down a long driveway, with no neighbors, parents, or grandparent. No anyone actually. That's right, high school you wishes it had my family.
So, we put a blanket down on the rough, unfinished floor and hook up the TV in the soon-to-be kitchen. We watch, make out to, cuddle through Team America: World Police. Magical. Especially the puppet sex scene.
I liked him. A lot.
Then it ended, as most things do. I don't remember how. I'm sure his ex had something to do with it. See, I wouldn't put out, no matter how many "you think that feels good? Sex feels so much better" talks I got. Standards, ladies, get them and keep them.
I was hurt, of course, but Socks was standing by, in the wings, waiting for his shot at glory.
I'd like to say I let it go at that, I never saw him again. Serves him right...
But I don't lie. My mom never taught me and I never took the numerous lessons that my father offered me growing up.
My freshmen year of college, maybe six months after I left, or was left, by him.
I was having a bad week. Homesick I guess, classes too much maybe, roommate issues I'm sure.
I left school at 11 pm, got to his house at around 2 am. We laid on the couch at his parents (because he was still living at home, maybe thinking his little band would soon be big enough to take his 20-something ass big places. Moron. I hope you're still failing, by the way), made out a little. I was seeing someone at school. Not dating, just going on dates (yes, there is a difference) and seeing Brandon again made me realize how lucky I was to not be with him. His mom came down in the middle of the night because she heard the TV. She basically accused me of being an awful person because her son only ever chooses awful people. It was a great night. But I couldn't go to my parents. It was a Tuesday. I had class the next day. I shouldn't have been four hours away from school.
So, we went to a 24 hours diner down the road. I drove, he still didn't have a license. We had awkward food while I wished I were anywhere but there, with anyone but him. Finally, the sun was up and my house might possibly be empty. I dropped him off, with the intention of never, never, ever seeing him again, and drove to my parents' house to sleep for an hour or two before getting back to school and the classes that, lets face it, I was going to skip.
Of course, my father was home. So I told him I was homesick, that my classes had been cancelled that day, and all I wanted to do was sleep in my bed a few hours and be home.
We still fondly remember that day as the day Lauren just had to see her Daddy.
If my parents only knew...
Oh, and as for the kissing his friend part, I suppose I should tell that story as well. It's not as good as you hope...
There's an ice cream place that was all the rage in the town I grew up in. It was pretty much the only thing to do. So, after school everyone would migrate there. Brandon and I followed suit one day. I'm not sure if he text his friends that we were going there or if it was an actual coincidence, but there they were. His silly little band, screamo-emo crap, with their tight jeans and meaningless tattoos, all "we don't get stoned but we get ice cream" in my face.
So, Brandon was saying goodbye to one of his friends, his best friend I think. I still don't remember his name. Sorry.
Anyway, they kiss, on the lips. And his friend walks away after giving me this ridiculous rebel-without-a-cause grin. And I just ignored it all.
"I just wanted to see what you'd do." Really? You're a freaking moron. I told him I didn't care, that it didn't make a difference to me who he kissed, as long as he still kissed me. But the truth, my like for him severely dropped. Not because he kissed a boy, but because he did it to get a rise out of me. I mean, really? He was at least 20 at the time, behaving as if he were 15. You know what, boy, go skateboard into the sunset with you best guy pal. K?
Good lord I was an idiot. The amount of ignorant I was still appalls me. Yet, I've made bigger mistakes. Oh my lord bigger.
In total, this relationship lasted about three weeks, two weeks longer than the first. The next one will last about 7 months. His name is Socks, his nickname anyway, but you're smart enough to know that, aren't you...
No comments:
Post a Comment